Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can a hernia result in a need for urgent or emergency care?

Customer Question
Can a hernia result...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No Meds. CT scan scheduled for coming Friday. Pain is intermittent severe.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No. None.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Healthy 26 year old woman.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/14/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, it can. Depends on the hernia and its site. Also, to an extent depends on the age of the person who has the hernia.

Umbilical hernia get obstructed more often than other hernias requiring urgent care or emergency surgeries. Inguinal hernias, femoral hernias etc are also liable to get obstructed especially if the hernial neck is small.

Older individuals are more prone to having their hernias obstructed. But younger people get it too.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.