Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are complex carbohydrates? I am a type 2 diabetic and…

Customer Question
What are complex carbohydrates? ...

What are complex carbohydrates?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am a type 2 diabetic and yes I have seen my doctor this past Friday. He stated I needed to eat more complex carbs.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am trying to loose down to 170 pounds for my yearly goal. I am 202 right now and was OK'd to try the Ketogenic diet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/14/2018
Doctor: Schuyler - ANP, Nurse Practitioner replied 7 months ago
Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Complex carbohydrates are those that are broken down slowly in the body so that they don't cause large, quick increases in blood sugar. Since they are slower to digest, you don't get hungry again as quickly. They typically have a lot of fiber. Examples are whole wheat bread and flours, brown rice, fruit with the peels on, bran cereals, oatmeal, all green vegetables, beans and lentils.

Simple carbohydrates are sugars that are broken down quickly causing increases in blood sugar and quick reemergence of hunger. Examples are candy/cake/pie/cookies, white flour, white rice, fruits or juices without the peel, soda, sugary cereal.

Here are some more examples of complex carbohydrates:

http://commonsensehealth.com/complex-carbohydrates-list-of-healthy-carbs/

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~