Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am an 85 yo wf, have been having intermittent left sided…

I am an 85...

I am an 85 yo wf, have been having intermittent left sided abd pain for about 5 days. I know I have diverticula. I've had this before and it has resolved on its own. This time, I'm not sure that going to happen. I can 1. go to an ER now or 2. go to my daughter's house, 15 min. from the hospital and see how it goes. No other symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

About 5 days. Nothing seems to change the pain, activity, resting, etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Years ago I had a ruptured ovarian cyst on the rt side. This pain is almost exactly the same but at my age, ovarian pain on the lefft seems unlikely especially since the ovary was wedge resected and there is little/nothing left.

1/13/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Any fever or change in your bowel movements with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, everything else is normal. I just have the persistent pinging-like pain in my left abdomen.

If it's diverticulitis it certainly isn't serious right now

For now I'd suggest oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day and see how it goes

If the pain worsens and you start to have a fever then you would need to see a doctor about this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The advice was good, solved the problem with only one glitch of being switched to a legal advice site.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor