Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was prescribed Prozac and Buspar by my doctor 80mg Prozac…

I was prescribed Prozac...

I was prescribed Prozac and Buspar by my doctor 80mg Prozac and 30 mg Buspar daily....I took an extra 20mg of prozac by accident...I saw online that maybe the doctor should not have even prescribed them together at all because of a severe warning of dangerous interaction...I took the extra prozac 2 hours ago. I am somewhat agitated; but that could be fear caused from reading that they were inherently dangerous together. Do I need to go to an emergency room? Is there any vitamin, supplement, herbal that can reduce the serotonin in my system? Can massive water (hydration) reduce the serotonin? Are there any home remedies that can reduce the serotonin? Could it be helpful (or even more dangerous) to induce vomiting? I'm worried about Serotonin Syndrome. Do you have any advice? Thank you so much for being here Doctor!

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Just penecillin. I take levothyroxine 100mg, naltrexone 50mg. tamsulosin.8mg + amino acids, vitamins, and herbals

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

1/12/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is true that this combination can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. However, serotonin syndrome is a very rare complication and most individuals who are prescribed both to be taken together never suffer from this rare complication. You should not worry regarding serotonin syndrome and your mild agitation is not due to it. You are having increased anxiety and should do mindfulness meditation to calm yourself. Just taking an extra 20 mg is not going to cause any adverse effects. You have not taken a toxic dose of Prozac and your body can still handle the extra dose without causing any complications. There is no need for any extra water intake or induction of vomiting. You are not facing an emergency situation.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Thank you Doctor Ravoof!

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor