Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has a valid Rx for hydrocodone. His company

recently started testing for it...
My husband has a valid Rx for hydrocodone. His company recently started testing for it. His Dr said not to worry about it because he will show the rx is valid but my husband is afraid it will open a can of worms. He tried to get help quitting but his pain Dr could not see him for over a month and his primary wants nothing to do with it. He tried to do it on his own but the side affects were too awful and he took one after 2 days. Pharmacist offered nothing to help either. He is off until next week and wanted to clear it from his system before going to work again.With so much hype about opioids you think the dr’s and pharmacies would be willing to help someone wanting to quit. Do you have any suggestions? He has talked 3 10. Mg tablets a day for 5 years after an accident.
1/12/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What symptoms did he have from the withdrawal?

Anxiety, pain, insomnia and restless legs

Thank you for the additional information.

It is generally not recommended to perform a taper in the time frame that he prefers. To be certain to pass a urine test on his first day back at work, he would need to be off the medicine for several days. He could perform a rapid taper, taking two pills per day for two days, then one pill per day for two days, and then stop, but such a rapid taper may still have significant withdrawal symptoms.

The other option would be to consider using over the counter medicines to help ease withdrawal symptoms. It is important to note that while opiate withdrawal can make the person feel absolutely miserable, there are not the same dangerous complications that can occur with other withdrawal syndromes. So, if the withdrawal symptoms can be managed, he may do better continuing the effort that he has already done, even though he took another pill after two days. For the pain, he can take any over the counter medicine, although aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen can irritate the stomach, and many people with opiate withdrawal can get nausea and vomiting. It also may help to take some diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which may help with the anxiety, insomnia, and restless legs.

The usual medical recommendation in this situation, though, would be to wait until he can be seen by his Pain Management doctor, who can supervise a gradual taper, and can also try to maximize other interventions for pain relief. If he is tested in the short term, his doctor is correct that someone with a valid prescription will not have a problem if the drug test detects the drug. And waiting until he can be seen would be more likely to have an easier time getting off the hydrocodone for the long term.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor