Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bph. For the past two hours, I've had to pee, but I…

Customer Question
I have bph....

I have bph. For the past two hours, I've had to pee, but I can't. It's getting quite painful. Should I go to ER?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Two hours. pain would go away if I could pee.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Flomax and Detrol LA. I took one each this a.m. I just took two each a few minutes ago. These attacks come every couple of weeks, but this is the worst.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/10/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

If the pain is severe, then yes, it is better to go to the ER with such symptoms. If you were only having difficulty urinating, it would be OK to try to give it some more time. But if there is severe pain, that indicates that there should be urgent attention.

If the pain is not yet severe, you can wait to see if the medicine taken a few minutes ago will help. But if there is no drainage of the bladder, the pain will typically continue to worsen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.