Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mom is 97 years old. She is on lisinopril. Why does she…

Customer Question
My mom is 97...

My mom is 97 years old. She is on lisinopril. Why does she need this. Also it may be helpful to know that she says she is tired of living and wants to die. She is bed ridden after breaking a leg. The surgeon says she has sever osteoporosis, and has not healed at all after 3 months. Her bone is not aligned, but surgery at her age and condition is not an option. She will never walk again. We give her the best care and is on hospice. So why take lisinopril?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I cannot tell about the symptoms. She also has congestive heart failure and leukemia. She coughs constantly. We have given give her fritillary/loquat cough syrup since she got home from the hospital four days ago. Her cough has improved but not gone. As for the swelling she has always since birth had huge hips and legs. Many times over her lifetime Dr thought at first it was swelling, then realized that is how she is. She weights 180 and has tiny shoulders and legs, tiny hands, most of her weight is in her hips, bottom and legs. So I think no swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She had a hystectomy in 1955. Knee replacements in 1990, a broken shoulder in 2012. She has had a extremely low stressed life.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/10/2018
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. If your mom is on hospice and is 97 then she sure does not need lisinopril. You should talk to your hospice team and you can request that it be stopped.