Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A week ago, I was treated for a Dural AV Fistula. They went…

Customer Question
A week ago, I...

A week ago, I was treated for a Dural AV Fistula. They went in through a groin artery and injected "glue" (Onyx) and I was sent home 2 days later. Everything is healing nicely, except for a mild but constant headache that I've had since the surgery. I know very little about recovery time or what to expect and I'm feeling stressed about this headache. Is this normal? Should I just be more patient? Should the headache concern me? I have a follow up appoint on jan 31st, but I'm VERY anxious to know if this headache is a normal part of the healing or not. Thank you. (I'm a 44 year old male)

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

The headache gets worse when I lay down for awhile in one position (sleeping at night)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The doctors found the DAVF when they gave me an angiogram CT scan due to a sub-arachnid hemorrhage. The hemorrhage was not found to be from an aneurysm, but I went through 2 weeks of the worse head pain I've ever felt, as we waited (in the hospital) for the blood in my brain to "go away". I was told the hemorrage is not an immediate concern.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Did you receive spinal or epidural anesthesia during surgery?

I'm not familiar with those terms, but I was put under general anesthetic.
Did I lose you?
I really hope I didn't lose you. I'm very interested in getting a response to this.

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes headache is the side effect of the anesthesia and specially if you got an epidural that is injection in your back for pain control. This type of headache is temporary and goes in a week time. I would recommend you to take tylenol, lots of fluids and coffee for early relief.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.