Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 3yr old on late Friday we went to er and she was…

Customer Question
I have a 3yr...

I have a 3yr old on late Friday we went to er and she was diagnosis with flu and strep.. she got amoxcillian and seems fever was 102-103 and then and now since taking antibiotic she is running about 100.3 she is drinking fluids and eating little but has been only wanting to lay down and seems weak its just been four days since started antibiotic but how long or when should i be concern. or take back in

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No its for my 3 year old.. she has a cough and little congested but nothing i can tell like wheezing or anything like that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No she been perfectly healthy 3 year old just that she got flu and strep diagnosis Saturday early morning.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, is your daughter able to drink fluids, keep them down, and is she urinating regularly? And is she having any rapid, shallow, labored breathing at all?

she is dinking fluid like 3 cups a Fay and 2 bottles like 6 oz of milk. heart beat fast. coughing but keeping it down and urinating still. fever is 100.2 at times
breathing is ok little congested but no wheezing
3 cups of fluid a day trying to get her drink more but says not thirsty
fever is low compared to before but seems weak and lays down alot
today she drank 2 bottles half milk and ate 4 crackers and frank juice 2 cups. but in bed for most part sat up for awhile then bk to bed

Thank you for that information. I'm so sorry to hear she got sick with BOTH the flu and strep at the same time, poor kiddo! The amoxicillin is doing it's job and will cure her of the strep, no problem. It's the flu that's making her so tired out, weak and wanting to lie down all the time. Also the persistent fever. Influenza (flu) is a virus while strep is a bacteria, so the antibiotic amoxicillin will address the strep as a bacteria, but NOT the flu as a virus. She will recover from the flu itself, it just takes longer. Lots of rest and fluids as much as she is willing to take, and as long as she is urinating without and rapid, shallow, labored breathing and she'll make a full recovery, probably by this weekend, as it usually takes about 7 days for kids to recover.

Any other questions I can help you with today?

If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.