Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can I take anything with St. Johns Wort with Valsartan/hctz,

Customer Question
Can I take anything...

Can I take anything with St. Johns Wort with Valsartan/hctz, simvastatin or CellCept

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms - I haven't taken it yet. I have high blood pressure, high cholestoral and an auto immune disease and I'd like to take an over the counter - is that possible, will it help?

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Yes, my mother - my last check up was in August

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, not that I know of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

St. John Wort can be taken with most medicines, However, the St. Johns Wort may interact with the simvastatin and make the simvastatin less effective. This interaction is not of such severity that it is recommended to avoid using the drugs together, but it is recommended to monitor the effectiveness of the simvastatin so that a dose adjustment can be considered, if necessary.

As for whether it will help, St. Johns wort is not as potent as prescription drugs, but it does help some people. Unfortunately, there is no way to know whether it will work for you until you have tried it.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?