Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Herpes question. wife exposed to herpes virus evident in…

Customer Question
Herpes question. wife exposed...

Herpes question. wife exposed to herpes virus evident in blood test but has not contracted the disease. I was diagnose with herpes. Could I have contracted the disease during her exposure.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Dont know

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. no previous herpes in medical history

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

I assume that this was the same type of herpes virus. Which type of herpes was positive?

dont know

The system says that you requested a phone call, but the processing of the request failed. Sometimes this happens because of an error in entering credit card information, but you can contact customer service to try to process the request.

For the present, though, I will continue to type a response within this format. It will take sever minutes to type an answer.

customer service #

You can send an email to***@******.*** or call(###) ###-####/p>

out of time . will try later

The answer is yes, although the exact likelihood and mechanism would be different for different types of herpes.

The type of herpes that is most of concern to patients is HSV2, which is the usual virus that causes genital herpes. If the blood test for your wife was positive for HSV2, then it is possible that she could have asymptomatic shedding of the virus, even though she does not have any symptoms of the infection. It is possible, though, that this asymptomatic shedding could occur long after the exposure. So, it would be more correct to say that you contracted the disease because of her exposure, rather than saying that you contracted the infection during her exposure.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know. And once the processing issue is corrected, let me know and I will be glad to discuss this in greater detail over the phone.