Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If one is diagnosed with "severe" Karpal Tunnel Syndrome and…

Customer Question
If one is diagnosed...

If one is diagnosed with "severe" Karpal Tunnel Syndrome and surgery is suggested......what might be the worse-case scenario if surgery did not happen, ever, or was delayed perhaps 6 months?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, I have seen Hand & Sports Medicine, had nerve conduction test'g, examined by specialist. But that nagging ? remains as to "if ignored, no action taken" what could be expected.......

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic only to Penicillin, twice daily take 25mg Metoprol and once daily Levothyroxine Sodium 25 - otherwise, only occasional Aspirin or Ibuprofen.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I'm generally healthy, 76 years of age.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Thank you, ***** ***** wait......

This may remain the same for another couple of months or may be up to 6 months. Or if this may get worse in terms of symptoms, and can also lead to atrophy (shrinking) of muscles, which can be reversible with surgery, but at times the damage can be fixed and there is permanent and irreversible weakness of hand muscles.

But this atrophy and permanent damage is usually not expected to happen in 6 months time, unless this has already started to happen.

Was it helpful?

Thank you for your answer, it is as I expected and I shall not be asking any more questions here. Have a good day!

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Thanks for visiting JA.

Thank you

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor