Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing high blood pressure readings and don't…

Customer Question
I am experiencing high...

I am experiencing high blood pressure readings and don't know what to do. I have an appointment with my doctor in Orlando, FL tomorrow morning at 10:00. until then, I am worried. I discovered the high readings on Christmas Eve. That night, it went up to 238/136, while on Losartan 100 mg (one in the AM per day) and Clonidine 0.1 mg (twice daily). The reading was taken at 10:00 PM, whereupon I took another Clonidine and went to the ER.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Three months ago. BP was slightly elevated. Yes, my mother and grandmother both had it. Today, I took my Losartan and Clonidine in the morning as usual. At around 3:00, I took another Clonidine. It helped for a while, but now I'm at 174/116. I'm not sure whether it is safe to keep taking the Clonidine or if so, how often I should take one until tomorrow. I assume I should not take a Losartan, as my understanding is that 100 mg is the maximum daily dose.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

At one time, around fifteen years ago, I had a rhythm problem with my heartbeat, but to my knowledge, it wasn't anything permanent. I was on a monitor in the ER on Christmas Eve and nothing was mentioned to me about any anomalies. I also had a EKG that night and it was pretty normal.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The typical dose of Clonidine is 0.1 mg twice daily. You may increase the dose today evening to 0.2 mg. Your present blood pressure of 174/116 is still too high. Ideally you should be seen at urgent care or emergency room. You may need addition of other medicine at the earliest.

Following measure also would help in long term;

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl