Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Chip ONLY, I've still got the puffy eyes. I'm really

Customer Question
for Dr. Chip ONLY,I've still...
for Dr. Chip ONLY,I've still got the puffy eyes. I'm really worried, because in the past I had a low GFR (56) and a high creatinine (1.06 was considered high by labcorp).Six months ago my creatinine was .86 and my GFR was 73.All are much worse than before I started the bi-annual zometa infusions. I know the zometa helps kill any cancer cells in my bones but I am scared it is wrecking my kidneys.1. How high do you think the creatinine would have to be to make puffy eyes.
2. For the puffy eyes to be caused by kidney disease, what are other EARLY signs that I would have?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/8/2018
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 months ago

1) To indicate any kidney problem your creatinine would have to be 1.5 or higher. And I told you before that's an estimated GFR and not a true evaluation of your kidney function

2) If the eyes were from a kidney problem you'd have total body edema--swollen legs, and water weight gain

You're working yourself into a panic for no reason here

I read that the eyes have delicate skin around them so it shows there first. How much water weight gain? I gained 2 lbs. recently.
My BUN has never been higher than 16. Does that help?

Several pounds--ten or more

That BUN and your creatinine are definitive--your kidneys are fine

But I'm afraid that they've changed since the last zometa infusion. Do you think they could swing that much because of an infusion 6 months ago? I know that the zometa made the GFR 56 for a while.
Wait--you are saying that EARLY stage kidney disease gives you a sudden weight gain of 10 lbs?? Why wouldn't it go up slowly?
Or is it that by the time you get puffy eyes, you would have gained 10 lbs?But if that 10 lbs is true, why do people's eyes get puffy just from salt?
Dr. Chip are you there?

Sorry--had to be off

You simply aren't in even early kidney failure with those numbers--let's leave it at that

What about the ten pounds? My eyes would only swell if I gained ten pounds?
I'm worried that those numbers were from six months ago and that the last infusion wreckrd them.
Dr. Chip??

Sorry--busy at the office

You're somehow equating eye puffiness with a kidney problem and that simply isn't the case

When I was talking about the 10 pounds I was referring to the overall edema and water weight gain from significant kidney problems

Your numbers are still good