Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have the most incredibly itchy palms and fingers which…

Customer Question
I have the most...

I have the most incredibly itchy palms and fingers which keep me awake at night and stop me from concentrating during the day. Prior to this, my fingers got extremely cold one day, to the extent that they were really hurting. I've tried Aveeno, anti-itching cream, eczema cream (betnovate ointment) and savlon, but nothing is working

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

About 3 weeks - it first affected just the finger tips, and has only recently spread to my palms. If I take large doses of piriton, it sometimes temporarily relieves it. Sometimes albas oil helps a bit

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I occasionally suffer from eczema, but it is usually controllable with betnovate or elocon

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually since there is no rash, as you have not mentioned it, then there are two possibilities which I would consider here. The first one is that this could be a problem related to the nerves. Neuropathy is a condition in which the nerves of the limbs can be damaged, most people think neuropathy only causes numbness or pain but that is not the case. Itching alone can indicate a neuropathy as well. This can be due to autoimmune conditions, nutritional deficiencies like b12, infections or even other numerous problems. The diagnosis would be made with a simple ncs emg test and then it can be treated with medications like Lyrica or neurontin.
The other possibility is that you could have a problem with the circulation of the limbs. The cold limbs along with itching and pain can indicate peripheral vascular disease which can occur because of narrowing of the arteries caused by depsoution of cholesterol or other debris or even due to autoimmune diseases. The diagnosis is made with a simple doppler ultrasound of the limbs and then it can be treated with medications.
If both of the above are ruled out then we can consider systemic diseases like kidney or liver issues but first I would recommend that you look into the above issues and see if they can be the cause.
In the meantime try using zyrtec and topical calamine lotion.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor