Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The Large Tendon in my Hip area was torn in half in 2014 and…

Customer Question
The Large Tendon in...

The Large Tendon in my Hip area was torn in half in 2014 and had to heal one side 1 inch over the other. It has now completely calcified. It causes me pain when I walk and with most movement. What if anything can be done and what kind of Doctor should I see. I am 60 and female.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Since the injury but it worsened when it calcified. Movement.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Fibomyalgia, The IT band on that side was shortened. I have also had two surgeries where large Calcium Deposits were removed from the upper leg on that side. Surgeries were age 21 and 40. I am disabled.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/8/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You should consult an MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Following treatment may help you;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle and tendon after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I cannot have any steriods, anti-inflammatory medications and acupuncture does not work. I am 5'5 and I weigh 114 lbs I also have no fat over my hips and my legs are very thin. I had much more movement before the calcification happened. It happened in only a few months time. The only physical therapy I am allowed is in a swimming pool which I use to do for other muscle and joint problems. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any indoor therapy pools which do not use Bromine to shock the pools. I am allergic to Bromine and it sets off my asthma immediately upon entering any pool area where it is used. This my all sound like I am making excuses but I am not. I want nothing more than to be able to move pain free from this hip.

So it boils down to;

1) Hydrotherapy / pool therapy.

2) Deep electrotherapy.

The steroid shot is a local shot at the calcification which you may confirm if that is still contraindicated.

A surgical removal of calcification is also the alternative to be considered.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Deep electrotherapy may be tried with pool therapy. Needling of the calcification too may help you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl