Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can a doctor please tell me everything there is to know

Customer Question
about diabetes 2 and congestive...
Can a doctor please tell me everything there is to know about diabetes 2 and congestive heart failure. Like whay are the symptom of each one.? Are they treatable? If so how do they treat it? Is out curable? What ate the treatments? How do they affect the body? What will happen if either one goes untreated? Thank u
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Julie, I could write a 20 page paper on each topic! There is a lot to know.

Let's be specific. Who has it?

I think my boyfriend but he won't go to the doctors. He says whats the point because they are uncureable. Ann's in order for out to be treatable he'd have to do a complete 360 in life changes and that has him depressed.

Well a lot of times if you treat diabetes then the heart failure gets better

how old is he?

43

does he drink, smoke?

obese?

why does he think he has HF and diabetes?

he smokes about a pack will last him anywhere from 2 to 4 maybe sometime 5 days well hes a little over weight. Hes 5'11 and weighs i think some where between 260-290 i believe. I believe he has one or both of those things because he has swelling of his calves ankles and feet. He gets these blister on his shins that turn in to sore that will take forever to heal like 2 to 3 weeks sometimes longer. He has this cough and i dont think its like a smokers cough but every so often he'll cough one to three times probably about around 4 or 5 times in a hour. He has shortness in breath when just walking up a small hill. And he has a hard time getting an erection and or keeping an erection

Ok so he is more than just a little overweight. His BMI is 38. So he is obese class II. Almost morbidly obese

the leg swelling could just be from the weight

it doesn't necessarily mean heart failure

However, he is FAR from being hopeless

He needs to see a good doctor and lose weight and stop smoking

He can get much much better

I know this and the reason i wanted that information was so i could show him because me just telling him isnt working. And he doesnt look that over weight but i know doctors go by BMI to determine is someone is over weight. I dont know what else to i feel im just waiting for the inevitable of his have a heart attack, stroke, go in to a coma or any of the many other things that could happen if those symptom go untreated

Oh he is far from a lost cause

He could even lose weight rapidly with a surgery like the gastric sleeve

This is a newer surgery where people lose large amounts of weight with very few side effects

there are many options

where do you live?

In california. But we dont have health insurance and dont qualify for medical and we dont make enough to be able to afford an insurance policy. Which is one of his excuses, and I've already told him that being rushed tho the hospital via ambulance or helicopter and being seen by ER doctors is a lot more expensive then going to a doctors

that is correct

thats why i wanted that information to maybe help me get him to a doctors

Yes, he does need to establish a primary doctor

A good internist would be my first step

But he is far from hopeless

and trust me....I have seen hopeless

Has this chat been helpful?

no although this cat has been helpful to be its not helpful as far as showing him that there is a good chance he has one of those things and or something else and that is is very treatable and that treating it does it mean not being able to eat the really good food that he's enjoyed or necessary quitting smoking although that would be huge beneficial help and things like that. Does that make sense

Honestly he doesn't necessarily have foolproof signs of diabetes or heart failure.

Sure he has let swelling and shortness of breath. But that could just be obesity.

What about the blisters that turn into sore and take weeks to heal

Yes, like I said before. This is just from the extreme edema in the legs

the legs can only stretch so far

And the swelling can just as easily be from his obesity

Okay thank u
Sorry not sure why that pic was attracted

He definitely needs tested for diabetes and heart failure

So this is a definitely possibility

It's not 100% but possible

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

i was givin false information for someone from justanswer customer service so i dont 17's a1n1t to give u credit because i know if i do i won't get refunded for this question that was suppose to be covered under my membership. im going to call customer service tomorrow and see if they can still give you credit because i am satisfied with yoyr help off not ill ask you another question and give you a tip im truly sorry for this.

no problem.

I don't get paid unless you pay though.

you can ask me another question if you like