Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have extreme fatigue, muscle pain, body hair has quit

Customer Question
I have extreme fatigue...

I have extreme fatigue, muscle pain, body hair has quit growing completely. I am 80 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Pain has been for several months. Difficult to stand and walk. Stiff muscles sometimes and deep pain that feels like bone pain. Walking can improve the stiffness and pain. Pain meds not helpful.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am gluten free. Avoid night shade vegetables as much as possible. Have been hypothyroid in past but tests show normal now and not on thyroid.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are a few conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one is a very low testosterone level which can cause all of these symptoms. This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination and a blood test. This would be then corrected with the help of testosterone injections and supplements.

Now, apart from low testosterone, you can also have a condition in which there is damage to the muscles or joints or even other organs such as an autoimmune condition. This would cause all of your symptoms. It can be diagnosed with the help of an ANA, ESR and an ENA profile. This would be then treated with specialized medications.

Another cause of this could be because of a low cortisol level. The adrenal glands are responsible for a lot of functions in your body and once of the most important hormones it can produce is cortisol. If you have low cortisol levels then you can experience hair loss, muscle pain, fatigue among various other symptoms. A cortisol level along with other tests would be diagnostic. This would be treated with steroids in most cases.

But I would suggest that you discuss these possibilities with your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor