Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ever sense I came from overseas I have constipation what…

Customer Question
Hi ever sense I came...
Hi ever sense I came from overseas I have constipation what should I do now my poop only comes if I take some non prescribed medications from pharmacy even though when I was overseas I didn't experience any constipation even though I used to eat McDonald's and other stuff similar to McDonald's what this can be. And what should I do.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benfiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," have been found to have good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes next half hour of meal, for toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenylmethanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein).

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy breads, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Food which cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pastas

Junk food or fast food

Banana

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

But overseas I used to eat junk food but didn't experience any constipation

Food alone may not be factor for constipation.

Following investigations should be done for chronic constipation which are the mainstay of the evaluation and which will give true perspective of the cause;

1) Blood investigations do give the clue. A complete blood count, biochemical profile, serum calcium, blood glucose, and thyroid function tests are routinely recommended in the evaluation of patients with constipation.

2) Depending on these blood results further blood work is done; serum protein electrophoresis, urine porphyrins, serum parathyroid hormone, and serum cortisol levels, may be done to identify or rule out myeloma, porphyria, hyperparathyroidism, and Addison's disease.

3) Barium enema or barium meal with follow through study

4) Colonic transit time; it can provide a better understanding of the rate of stool movement through the colon.

5) Other investigations like Anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion test, Defecography etc.

6) Colonoscopy / sigmoidoscopy

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl