Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My dog got ticks and then they got on me. Very tiny, smaller…

Customer Question
My dog got ticks and...
My dog got ticks and then they got on me. Very tiny, smaller than a dot of pencil lead. Not common for our part of the country. They are all over me and biting me. Over a week now!!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: rydergar,
 replied 7 months ago
rydergar

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Doctor: rydergar,
 replied 7 months ago

The first step here is going to be using a flea/ tick preventative on your dog. I would go with a combination of Frontline and Advantage. I would alternate the use every 2 weeks.

Doctor: rydergar,
 replied 7 months ago

You would also benefit from using an exterminator. I would catch some of the bugs to show them so they can identify the type and then use the best fumigation technique to rid them from the environment.

You will also benefit from washing the dogs bedding and vacuuming floors a couple times weekly to better rid them from the environment.

You should be able to get this under control, but it can take weeks before you see significant differences.

I’ve already given her Frontline drops and she seems to be repelling them fine. It’s just me that can’t get rid of them!!
Doctor: rydergar,
 replied 7 months ago

In that case, I would seek out a physician to see what they can do. I don't treat people.

I would also highly recommend a professional exterminator.

That’s what I was hoping to talk to... a physician.I ’ve already talked to my vet.
Doctor: rydergar,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok, I'll put a request in to switch this to the medical page instead of the vet page.

Thank you!!
Will I be able to talk to a physician now?