Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need to speak to a doctor. Will they respond quickly?

Customer Question
I need to speak...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Hello. I am concerned because my chest feels irritated. I touched my chest area and I did not find anything like a lump or such. I am concerned and worried because I have trouble breathing. This comes & goes but it comes suddenly. It hasn’t happened in a while. I remember a long time ago that my doctor diagnosed me with something related to asthma.
It isn’t pain it just feels irritated and sensitive when I touch or when my chest hairs move with it comes difficulty breathing and I am very scared.
If you can respond earlier the better.
I do take deep breaths.
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love. I am sorry that no expert has yet responded?

It may be that no expert has responded because there is no clear single explanation of your symptoms.

Generally, superficial irritation of the chest, manifested as sensitivity of the skin or chest hairs, would not affect lung function, so usually would not cause shortness of breath. Similarly, lung problems, such as asthma, typically would not cause skin or hair sensitivity.

Sometimes, people that are anxious can feel shortness of breath. So, it is possible that the skin irritation is the primary problem, and the shortness of breath could be related to anxiety about the skin irritation. So, there may be an indirect relationship between these problems.

The most common reason for irritation of the skin and hair of the chest would be some inflammation. There are many different possible causes of inflammation, but it would be reasonable to try a skin moisturizer or a over the counter hydrocortisone cream applied to the area of irritation to see if the symptoms can be eased.

It is also important to note that any significant shortness of breath should be checked if it does not resolve spontaneously. And if the shortness of breath is more severe, it should be checked more urgently. Shortness of breath from anxiety is not as concerning, but it would be better to be checked to be certain that there is no significant problem causing the shortness of breath.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Hello. I am so confused. I went out to the store and I felt so much better I really didn’t have shortness of breath and I felt better. Now when I am at home and when I lay down I have shortness of breath. Also, I turned on my diffuser and I feel a little better. But my breastbone is sore. I am so concerned. But when I turned on my diffuser that pain went away. So confused.
I am depressed. This is really depressing me.
It feels like a nerve or something pinching me near my breastbone.

If the breastbone is tender, that is more often related to musculoskeletal inflammation, which is usually along the joints where the ribs attach to the breastbone. This type of pain, though, is deep to the skin and hair. This will usually respond well to oral anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.