Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 20 years old and just returned from Nicaragua today. A…

Customer Question
Hi! I am...

Hi! I am 20 years old and just returned from Nicaragua today. A few weeks prior to my trip I had my iron checked and it was exteremely low. I began taking iron supplements. Prior to my trip I began taking Doxycycline to prevent malaria. On the 6th day of the Doxycycline I took it without water because I didn't have any. Also I took my iron supplement at the same time. After that evening I have had stomach pain/pressure high in my abdomen. It feels like heartburn. I took both medicines for 2 more days but since my stomach has been hurting so much i haven't been able to eat well. I took the doxycycline 2 more days then stopped it. I continued to take the iron. Now at home I googled and realized I shouldn't have been taking those medicines together. Should I follow up with a Dr. here or will the stomach problems cease? Is there something I can do to relieve the symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Typically I don't take any. The only ones I have been taking recently are the iron supplements and doxycycline.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I am a vegetarian and a 2nd year college student. Didn't eat too well during finals which I suspect dropped my iron.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You may consider taking;

1) Mylanta / Tums.

2) Prilosec.

Take iron tablets with full meals.

Avoid spices for a while.

These should be able to resolve your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl