Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a URI and the urgent care doctor recommended Afrin…

Customer Question
I have a URI...

I have a URI and the urgent care doctor recommended Afrin because I have a plane flight in the morning for work and I used it now and my mouth the roof of it won’t stop burning

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

An hour now and it won’t stop and it’s very uncomfortable

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Never had any allergies to medications this is the first time anything like this has happened

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The burning will decrease over time. But since it is very uncomfortable, you can sip at iced drinks to decrease the burning.

You can also take anesthetic throat lozenges like Cepacol or Strepsils Plus to numb the area while the effects of Afrin wear off. These lozenges are available OTC.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.