Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I think I have a hemorrhoid. No not yet. Synthroid and

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have a hemorrhoid.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No not yet. Synthroid and zoloft.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This has flared up in the past but not for this long.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been using preparation H and hemorrhoid wipes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a picture if you would like.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have bright red blood on toliet tissue even when not having a bowel movement. Pain with bowel movements even if the stool is soft. Blood in the toliet bowel too.
My thyroid levels were check not even a month ago and I am fine. Diagnosed hypo years ago. I am 27, 190 pounds (I've lost 40 lbs since August), I exercise 4-5 days a week and I drink at least 96 Oz of water a day.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh and the symptoms have been about two weeks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry but I've got to be up in four hours. I hope I've given you enough information. Here is the image. Sorry if it's gross. Thank you. ☺
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Katherine,

The picture you have posted is likely to be;

1) Hemorrhoid

2) Sentinel pile which accompanies anal fissure (which is an ulcer at anal opening). Though treatment is not different for anal fissure and inflamed pile which causes bleeding as well as pain too.

The treatment of hemorrhoids is by warm sitz bath, avoiding straining, keeping the stools soft and local application of the ointment like proctosedyl or Preparation-H. Following is the detailed advisory;

1) Avoid constipation by not postponing the urge to defecate; Many over-the-counter options helps speed bowel movements and decrease straining. Duphalac is best. A soft stool helps in decreasing the irritation and associated swelling of hemorrhoids.

2) Eat a balanced, high-fiber diet; Increased dietary fiber of 25-30 grams / day. High fiber cereal can help reach this goal quickly.

3) Drink plenty of water and liquids (about 2 liters a day)

4) Regular exercise; this helps in relieving constipation, if any.

5) Avoid excessive pressure and straining during defecation. Don't sit for extended periods, limit this time as much as possible.

6) Avoid irritant foods, chillies and hot herbs and substances.

7) Warm sitz baths; this is universally soothing for pain and may help decrease the hemorrhoid size. This is done thrice a day for couple of days and then twice a day (15 minutes each time).

8) Local ointments applied in anal canal which contain xylocaine and vasconstrictors (OTC product).

Read here;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hemorrhoids/DS00096

The hemorrhoids should respond to these measure in 7-10 days. If they do not completely resolve in a week or 10 days, it would be time to seek a personal examination by a physician.

If these measures do not help you may try the non surgical / mild invasive procedures;

1) Rubber band ligation

2) Bipolar, infrared, and laser coagulation

3) Sclerotherapy

4) Cryosurgery

5) Laser hemorrhoidectomy

6) Doppler-guided hemorrhoidal artery ligation

7) Anal streching or Lord's stretching

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor