Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My lower back pops a lot. I can be sitting on the bed and…

Customer Question
My lower back pops...

My lower back pops a lot. I can be sitting on the bed and turn to get a drink of water and it pops. I can pop up to 20 times in about a minute.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I have not. And I don’t take any meds.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No I don’t take anything but maybe a Tylenol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I had a partial hysterectomy about 3 yrs ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you have experiencing popping of lower back/lower spine region a lot. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see popping of the lower back may indicate there is some mild arthritis in the lower spine (lumbosacral spine).

Sometimes popping like this also may indicate mild strain of the muscles of the lower back or mild sprain of the ligaments or the tendons of the lower spine region.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by undergoing a thorough clinical examination followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations such as an MRI scan of the lower spine/lower back region etc and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

The treatment regimen for popping in the lower back generally incudes some of the following;

A) First of all what we need to do is protection from any injuries to the lower spine by avoiding various physical activities that can cause injuries – and in this regard the following physical activities need to be avoided as much as possible;

Avoiding excessive, especially strenuous physical activities that may burden the lower spine/lower back area in the form of twisting or excessive bending the spine – especially bending at 90 degrees, and also sudden abrupt bending etc

Avoiding activities which can trigger or increase the popping

Avoiding continuously working for prolonged periods, rather to take rest intermittently

Avoiding lifting heavy weights or heavy objects from the ground or floor, and carrying heavy weights or heavy objects

Avoiding pushing or pulling heavy weights or heavy objects

Avoiding any wrong posture that can trigger irritation to the lower back/lower spine region

Avoiding prolonged sitting and standing in the same position

Avoiding sitting or sleeping on floor

Avoiding working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch, same for TV too

The above physical activities or situations need to be avoided as much as possible because all these can strain the lower back/lower spine further.

B) The following are the various General measures Or Non-medication Home remedies that can be tried to help with this lower back/lower spine condition;

Trying to lose excessive weight (If this is applicable in the form of being overweight or obese etc - not otherwise)

Adequate resting till the irritation of lower back/lower spine heals

Proper postural adjustments/postural corrections, work place ergonomics

Using proper mattress – for example using special mattress such as Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper can help

Cold therapy & Heat therapy in the form of using Cold compress or Hot compress

Using a Spine Brace can help in minimizing the movements of the spine and can help in reducing the irritation occurring the lower spine/lower back region

Gentle stretching exercises for the lower back muscles can help by relieving the muscle tension in that region

Massaging of the lower back region is also very useful

Using one of the over the counter essential oil rubs such as Eucalyptus oil, or Wintergreen oil

Using Epsom Salt Compress can help too

C) If Popping does not improve with the above treatments then some of the therapeutic interventions mentioned below can help;

A muscle relaxant such as Baclofen, or Tizanidine

A course of Physical therapy

Hydrotherapy

Hot fomentation

Short wave diathermy

Infra-red light therapy

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Interferential therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy)

Lumbar Traction therapy

Chiropractor spinal manipulations/SMT (Spinal Manipulative therapy)

Osteopathic spinal manipulations etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see not all these above mentioned treatments may be required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with your health condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

D) The following herbal preparations too may be considered in addition to the above mentioned treatments to help in improving the health of the spine & back region;

Flavocoxid

Devil’s claw Secondary Root

Noni concentrate

Nettle Root extract etc

E) The following nutritional supplements too may be considered in addition to the above mentioned treatments to improve the health of the spine & back region;

Glucosamine

Chondroitin sulfate

MSM etc

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities as mentioned earlier above that can cause the popping sensation in the lower back/lower spine region you have been having

2) A thorough examination in the clinic followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned earlier above can help us in finding out the precise cause for this new symptom and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the treatments mentioned earlier above and these can help in providing relief from this annoying, recurrent, and frequent popping feeling in the lower back/lower spine region you have been experiencing, as well as help you with faster recovery too

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to get this further evaluated & investigated asap which will help you with best results and best outcome!

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I hope I am not bothering you, I am trying following up on your health issues.

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have expressed above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD