Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been having dark red blood in my stool for 4 days.

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having dark red blood in my stool for 4 days. Today I passed a long string of mucus with blood. Can I wait to see my primary? I am out of state.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Somewhat poor. Just diagnosed with sinus tachycardia heart rate 171. I was put on cardizem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

IBS-C. Colonoscopy at 25 polyps benign and removed. (I simply stopped being able to go to the bathroom) hinge the IBS-C. 1PPD smoker. 32 y/o female. Chronic pain medication due to injuries from bad car accident multiple surgeries

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

chronic pain medications can often cause constipation which can cause large hard stools

which can cause straining and blood from bleeding hemorrhoids.

I think it is fine to wait to see your doctor.

are you working on quitting smoking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a RX for Chantix but my insurance won’t cover it. When I have a bowel movement I don’t stain as they are mostly loose. I take linzess 290 mcg po QD.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is from Thursday. My stool as loose and yet still blood is present.

linzess could be too strong for you and causing too much loose stools, too much bowel irritation and this can cause blood in the stool as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tonight this worried me. I haven’t been to the bathroom since Thursday. This is the only thing produced tonight. I don’t know how to identify or explain what this is. The only symptom I have is right upper quadrant pain. It feel like a dull ache when palpated.

that could be a vein possibly which has come out

there are many veins in the rectum.

it would not be a worm or parasite.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe the Linzess 145mcg? Without it I’m afraid I won’t be able to produce a bowel movement. That is extremely painful and debilitating. This is truly a concern with me being on pain medication. I’m working with m
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My primary is slowly weaning me off the majority of my medications. I’m afraid of the harm they are doing to my body.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A vein? I’ve never Heart of that happening.Gastro is not my specialty area. It has a mucus like coating.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could IBS-C explain all of this? Or ulcerative colitis? What treatment plan should be followed. I know I need to be see but I don’t know what to expect. Would I be admitted? Or treated as an outpatient? As a working mother this is very important.

do you have medical marijuana legal in your state?

marijuana can help decrease pain and help you come off of pain medications.

everything in the bowel has a mucus coating.

IBS or ulcerative colitis could explain everything.

you would not need admission for this

you may benefit from a colonoscopy if you haven't had one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sadly we don’t have legal marijuana here in our blessed state. I did have a colonoscopy at age 25. They found benign polys and removed them then. That is when I was diagnosed with IBS-C. I don’t know if this helps or not...for the last year I will randomly vomit. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing I will suddenly get nauseous and vomit. It’s almost feels like morning sickness on steroids. I’ve lost 60 pounds in the last 6 months without trying to.

you should try to find some CBD oil made from indica marijuana which could also help decrease pain and help fight and treat nausea

and help your bowels move in the proper direction.

you should get a stomach emptying study done to check for gastroparesis

and also get a colonoscopy as well.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician