Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had a horrible taste in my mouth for two months. It…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a horrible taste in my mouth for two months. It gets a bit better but comes back with a vengeance. I first went to an ENT and was diagnosed with a virus. It continued so I went to a gasteronologist at Mayo. I am done to dexilant every three days...weening off. Also stopped taking Valtrex which I had been taking everyday. . I am only on Angelique.. a hormone pill and a probiotic. My next appt is end of the month with ENT at University of Iowa. No other symptoms other than some weight loss. Food does not sound good with this horrible taste. It was sour at first and now just horrible taste. I just recovered from Influenza A which I have been on Tamil. It seems to have gotten a ton worse during this period. Any idea what is going on?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I am 57 years old! No period

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have genital herpes and my WBC was a bit high a few months ago. I had a smear and it came back good.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have this bad taste

recent influenza infection can cause bad taste

recent tamiflu treatment can cause this

bad acid reflux can cause it.

some patients benefit from going on zinc supplements to help bring back their taste buds.

it could take more than two months for your taste to get better

do you have acid reflux?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been on dexilant for years..My general dr. had me go off of it because I was having a weird dry lip problem for over 6 months. He did not wean me off of it. Mayo thought this could be the sour mouth problem, maybe caused low acid? I have been getting off of it for 6 weeks now and my symptoms tonight are as bad as ever!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been to six doctors, one being my dentist brother in law. No one can figure it out!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It definitely has gotten better until several days ago when I got influenza A. I just want my mouth back. This is so crazy!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again this has been since the end of October!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello? Is this the end of our conversation?

an upper endoscopy scope into your stomach or a esophageal ph manometry study can tell if acid is coming up or not.

you should try going back on the dexilant and see if this helps

you can also try taking some zinc supplements 50mg a day and see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you don’t think it’s the dexilant causing the bad taste? Do I need to worry of any cancers?

you have been off of the dexilant.

no, cancers would not cause this type of symptom.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My taste buds are elongated. It seems younger related?? Burning tongue disease?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

can you upload a photo of your tongue?

I would go back on the dexilant before jumping to those conclusions.

I would try the zinc supplements as well

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

you are welcome

do you have other questions?

do you see the ratings area?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician