Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has an allergy to cheese ex. mozzarella. Last weekend…

Customer Question
My son has an...

My son has an allergy to cheese ex. mozzarella. Last weekend we cooked Nachos with Goat cheese over the Nachos. The next day he had an upset stomach and through up violently. It took the day to get over it. Was it the goat cheese heated up or just something else?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

My son experienced vomited that day but the topic of conversation came up when the cheese weather its goat cheese or cow cheese upset your stomach when heated?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has sensitivity to eggs cheese beef and a few other things. He complains of gas, nausea and bloating. Is lactose free cheese ok?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/7/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, when you say your son “has an allergy to cheese” can you tell me exactly what you mean? Has he ever been skin or blood tested to confirm a medical allergy to cheese, milk or dairy products? What type of symptoms does he show if/when he consumes cheese?
I just found the report. Casein, Cottage cheese, cows milk, whey and yogurt High reaction.
Goat Milk Very low
Mozzarella cheese moderate, Egg white and egg yolk moderate reaction. He sometimes feels gassy, bloated and lethargic when he sometimes has these foods not all the time. Could the goat cheese have bothered him. Can he have goat cheese? Heated or not. Cold out of the fridge ?
I understand, thank you for that information. According to that allergy testing report he should be able to eat goat cheese without a problem. As for the stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, probably not from the goat cheese and nachos. Heating up the goat cheese or serving it cold should not affect his allergy status. More than likely, he cane down with a stomach virus, coinciding with eating the goat cheese. I’m glad to hear he’s feeling better. You can always try letting him eat the goat cheese again at a later date to see if he has any similar symptoms and if so, then I would avoid it.
Regarding lactose free cheese, if it is still cheese made from cows milk, then no, I would not give it to him since his allergy testing shows he’s highly allergic to cow milk, whey and casein. While he may in fact be relatively lactose sensitive, that is a completely separate issue of lacking the enzyme to break down milk sugar, lactose, vs. having allergic sensitivities to milk proteins.
Can I answer anything else for you today?
If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.