Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If I am going to have veins removed from my leg what

Customer Question
If I am going...

If I am going to have veins removed from my leg what advanced procedures does a doctor perform to insure that he will not run into any nerves?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I have inherited varicose veins from my dad and my wife says they look pretty bad from the back. I live in Palm Springs and wear shorts all the time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had one ablation accomplished about 7 yrs ago for one of the veins but the doctor said he would need to accomplish a flambectomy to remove the larger ones but I would be off work for a couple of weeks to recover and I could not take the time then.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how old are you?

69

We know where the nerves are anatomically

so the surgery is done based on this

we know where they travel and don't hit them

Well, I had a flemectomy in Aug of 2014 by a cardio vascular doctor at UCLA who convinced me it was a very simple procedure. I woke up and had lost control of my forefoot. I had dropfoot. I could no longer do my job as an Aviation consultant because he cut/damaged my perineal nerve. I am suing for lost earnings and pain and suffering. When the doctor came out of surgery he said he had to stop operation because my veins were thicker and longer than he thought. He had an ultrasound of my leg accomplished before he said I was a good candidate for flemectomy. They have found an expert witness to testify that my leg was abnormal and very unusual nerves. How can someone testify to that without being in surgery himself????

I totally agree with you.

This should have been thoroughly vetted before surgery

that is the surgeon's fault

How do I find a cardio vascular expert witness with a great resume to fight these chief surgeons from UCLA and USC? This guy ruined my life. How can they blame me for their mistake? I live with nerve pain every day plus lost the ability to climb up ladders, get inside crawl spaces in aircraft, drive long distances, drive in stop and go traffic, walk long distances and have lost balance.

your lawyer needs to do that

do you have a lawyer?

he is also looking for doctors with excellent resumes who can and want to provide expert testimony but you know that doctors are very hesitant to soil another doctor’s rep even if he made a big mistake. They are a tight knit union. I don’t want to ruin his rep but that mistake changed my life forever and cost me my earning potential to work as an aviation consultant making very good money for years to come. I loved the aviation business!!

I agree with you though

your lawyer needs to get busy!

there are plenty of doctors out there that would help

just click send to reply