Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just started new birth control and I've been bleeding for…

Customer Question
Hi, I just started...

Hi, I just started new birth control and I've been bleeding for about 15 days. It's a mini pill called Errin

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Only the birth control. I haven't been able to see a doctor yet, trying to see if I need to go into the ER

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had bad headaches about 2 years ago but they stopped after lifestyle changes

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea or headaches recently in the last six to nine months Ok

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually mild bleeding after starting new birth control is common however persistent heavy bleeding for 15 days is NOT common and should be evaluated at least once. This means that if you are bleeding so much that you are going through a pad an hour then you should immediately head to the ER. Additionally, if you have any of the following symptoms, then you should head to the ER as well. These include,

Dizziness or lightheadedness especially on standing up

Shortness of breath

Sweating

Palpitations

--------The above three are also applicable if they occur on mild exertion

Chest pain

Headaches, which worsen on standing up

Pale complexion of the skin or the hands

Now if the bleeding is more like spotting which occurs occasionally then this is to be expected and it should settle down within a month of starting the contraceptive, usually minor spotting which persists for a month or so is something which does not need immediate management.

So it basically depends on your symptoms and the amount of bleeding that you have, if it's severe or if you have symptoms head to the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/