Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm a 26 year old male and as of 3 days ago I have been

Customer Question
I'm a 26 year...

I'm a 26 year old male and as of 3 days ago I have been diagnosed with Gastritis. I had my urine and blood done and nothing else was found. The doctor then prescribed to me some medication called "pepcid." My stool is normal but now I'm constipated. I'm afraid of developing something serious like say an ulcer or stomach cancer. Now recently I have been bland dieting but I don't know how long I'm supposed to keep doing and or what caused my gastritis to begin with. The doctor didn't tell me. All I remember is that is started just after Christmas like a day or so and at first I thought it was the stomach flu and that it would just go away. When it lasted longer than 3 days I went to the doctor. The ER to be exact. They took X-Ray pics of my back and stomach area. Then the doctor gave me some kind of "cocktail mixture" (his words, not mine) of medicine that made my stomach feel better. He then gave me a prescription for medicine known as "famotidine 40 mg" and it's working but has side effects I'm not used to like the triggering of my anxiety attacks and erectile dysfunction. I guess my questions are as follows: 1. How long will I have to continue to bland diet before I can go back to eating regular? 2. How long does it take tumors and ulcers to develop? And 3. Can I beat and turn gastritis around and live a normal life ever again?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I've been dealing with this almost 2 weeks now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really no Yes I'm overweight and may have high blood pressure but thats about it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Did my response answer your question?

If so,

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Tumor would be extremely rare in someone your age and would not expect symptoms to get better with the GI cocktail.

The "GI Cocktail" mixture they gave in the ER usually has lidocaine and maalox in it and would numb the stomach and esophagus. if patients have relief with it, then symptoms are almost always gastritis.

diet can help with gastritis symptoms, so would focus on healthy eating as well as weight loss with moderate exercise (brisk walking for > 30 minutes a day to start)

would take the famotidine for 2 to 4 weeks as you are making the diet and exercise changes and then should be able to come off of the medication.

Does that answer your question?

Did my response answer your question?

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD