Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can lidocaine or novacaine used by a dentist on a patient…

Customer Question
Can lidocaine or novacaine...

Can lidocaine or novacaine used by a dentist on a patient cause a false positive for cocaine on a hair test?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Hair, Need fairly quickly. Client has hair test that showed positive for cocaine at 241pg/mg

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Had a cold but took only over the counter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

Lidocaine and Novocaine are local anesthetic agents having different metabolites than cocaine. These medications will not cause a false positive for cocaine in a hair follicle test.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Have I addressed your concerns? I hope so.

Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The other expert has opted out.

I would also note that since they quantified the drug (241 pg/mg), that indicates that a confirmatory test was done, such as GC/MS. A screening test can say that a drug is above a specific threshold, but it cannot quantify the level above that threshold. Only the confirmatory test can provide a quantified level of the drug.

Since a confirmatory test was done, there is no drug or substance that will cause a false positive. The reports of drug causing false positives for any drug test only applies to the screening test.

However, there is another key issue. Did the confirmatory test detect only cocaine? Or did it detect its metabolite, called benzoylecgonine?