Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I started feeling ill yesterday morning work in a nursing…

Customer Question
Hello! I started feeling...

Hello! I started feeling ill yesterday morning work in a nursing home and most of the residents were down sick with the flu virus. I received a script of Tamiflu from the facilty dr but am unable to fil it due to surrounding pharmacies being sold out. Do you have any suggestions on what I can get for the symptoms I am having which is a bad cough which makes myhead feel like its going to explode as well as feeling dizzy.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I started coughing yesterday morning and I also been having fever off and on

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Tamiflu when started with in 48 hours of start of symptoms, can reduce the duration and severity; and also complications of the flu.

Anyhow, short of Tamiflu, majority (nearly all) patients can have a safe recovery if they have a good immunity and not severely immunocompromised.

For you; following measures will help.

Rest

Good hydration

A balanced high caloric diet rich in vitamins also

Benadryl to control cough

Ibuprofen to control inflammation, pain and fever

And honey water (anti-inflammatory)

All will help.

There are few indications to see your doctor, which include;

Shortness of breath

High grade fever

Blood in phlegm

But I don't think it will happen. You will have an uneventful recovery.

Was it helpful?

Steam inhalation is also going to moisten the inflamed mucosa of respiratory tract and will ease out the cough and expectoration of phlegm.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.