Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What causes excessive bruseing without an injury? It is my…

Customer Question
What causes excessive bruseing...

What causes excessive bruseing without an injury ?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No. It is my husband and he takes a lot of meds for his heart and diabetic

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Lisinopril 2.5mg------Digox 125mcg----throxine --112mcg---Toprol XL50---

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Warfarin 5mg---furosemide 40mg--lovastatin 40mg--metformin 90mg---glipizide---10mg

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Hi
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's symptoms
Actually there are several reasons for this to occur, the first one being that your husband is on warfarin and that is a major cause for spontaneous bruising. Usually when patients are on warfarin they can develop marked derangement of their clotting profile and whenever we see spontaneous bruising then we would first get a pt inr test done immediately. This is very important as it is possible that the inr is more than the target range which is causing this bleeding. Infact spontaneous bruising can be a warning sign that if the inr is not controlled bleeding in the brain or even in the gastrointestinal tract. So i would strongly advise getting a inr done even if the previous one was normal.
Secondly, if the inr is normal then the platelets should be looked into as soon as possible. The platelets could be decreased or they may not be functioning properly which can lead to this problem. Simple cbc, bleeding time and clotting time tests along with a complete platelet function profile can be done to determine the cause. Additionally autoimmune diseases can cause this issue as well. This would require tests like esr, Ana and a complete Ena profile to be done.
Lastly if all of this has been ruled out then we can consider senile purpura as a cause. This occurs due to years of skin damage caused by exposure to sunlight in some patients. Additionally lack of vitamin D, vitamin c and even vitamin k among other nutrients can cause this problem. This would be treated with supplements and protection of the skin from sunlight.
I would suggest that you have this evaluated by taking your husband to the doctor as soon as possible.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor