Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is 85 yrs old she has the flu but her blood

Customer Question
My mother is 85...

My mother is 85 yrs old she has the flu but her blood pressure is low, I just took it it is 100/75 what can I do the make it rise.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?

She went to the doctor yesterday she is on Theraflu, a little dizzy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She was on bp pills doctor said not to give to her a few days

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Besides feeling dizziness is she having high fevers or the inability to eat?

no sir her fever broke early this morning and she is eating a little more today

Overall it sounds benign. With the elderly we can see that the blood pressure drops during even viral infections. I would recommend to stop her blood pressure medications for now and purchase rehydrating packets which you can mix with water or make your own to hydrate her appropriately.

You can refer to the image for the recipe. Or go to this website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

-Dr. Mo