Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What protein spills over into the urine? In his message to…

Customer Question
What protein spills over...

What protein spills over into the urine?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

In his message to me,via his portal, he tells me that, not naming what it is.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He knows that I am a diabetic trying to control, the blood sugar by diet.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

My blood sugar has been elevated to 180.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/5/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, to your knowledge, are your kidneys working well and do you urinate normally? Are you currently on any diabetes medications and if so which one(s)? Any blood in your urine or pain with urination?

I am on Metformin, 2- 500 mg tablets per day. I believe my kidneys are working well. There is no blood or pain in my urine.

Thank you for that information. There are many proteins that float around in our blood that can spill into the urine by way of the kidneys. The major one that doctors check for is called albumin. In diabetes, finding protein/albumin in the urine is suggestive of kidney "leakiness" referred to as diabetic neprhopathy. It's a sign of less than well controlled diabetes affecting kidney function, who's job is to filter the blood of waste products but keep the useful ones, such as protein/albumin, in the blood.

Can I answer any other questions for you today?

If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.