Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 4 year old son has strep. He is allergic to penicillin…

Customer Question
My 4 year old son...
My 4 year old son has strep. He is allergic to penicillin and we are unable to get him to take the oral medication that was prescribed to us. Is there an injection that is not penicillin based?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for waiting. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. There are many alternatives in such cases. One such is injection Cephradine. It is not penicillin and it is effective against strep. I hope this helps you. I wish your son good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Do you get the Cephradine injection 1 time, or do you need to get it multiple times?

It has to be given multiple times, usually 3 times a day. The organisms involved in strep are gram positive so this is the second most effective antibiotic against it. I wish your son good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Please let me know if you need any further assistance. I am an ENT specialist and I deal with this daily. Regards