Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is a /L Submandibular mass? Had an MIRA on Thursday of…

Customer Question
What is a B/L...

What is a B/L Submandibular mass?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Had an MIRA on Thursday of this week.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 71, and have all my parts. No operations, have tonsils.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am a head and neck surgeon and can assist you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Bilateral means on both sides and submandibular means under the lower jaw. So this means that you have mass on both sides under your lower jaws. If the mass is present on both sides, this means that they are not likely to be associated with anything serious. Your next step should be to see an ENT surgeon and get needle biopsy of the masses and proceed according to the results. Most likely cause can be infection or stones in the ducts of the submandibular glands because of which they can get enlarged and can present as masses. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your reply. I am presently taking 500mg twice a day on Amoxicillin for 5 days.

You are most welcome. If it's an infection, amoxicillin will clear the masses and you might not need any further investigation. My best wishes and prayers will be following you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor