Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Throat question. I went to my ENT last month thinking I had…

Customer Question
Throat question. I went to...
Throat question. I went to my ENT last month thinking I had an issue with my nasopharynx he gave me a course of antibiotics to help me because I kept feeling I had mucus stuck in my throat, I have a pinching scratch feeling in the left side of my throat right about where my Adam's Apple meetswith the other bone above it only on the left side though. This has been going on for some time I've been diagnosed with GERD and sinusitis. I also have mucosal thickening in my sinuses. This almost feels like there is a lump in my throat, now if I take my fingers and move it back directly under my left ear about two inches just in the soft dip between my neck muscle and jaw there is some tenderness. But if I keep my finger there and Arch my head up and look to the left there's an excruciating burning pain and I've also noticed I've had that pain several times with headaches. Have a history of smoking which I quit doing a few years ago as well as drinking. What do you think could be going on? I have another appointment with my ENT on Tuesday.. also there is a clicking on the left side of my Adam's Apple where it meets the other bone above it when I swallow.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you should not be trying to examine the back of your throat like this

it sounds like you are worried about having a hidden throat cancer causing your pain.

if you have chronic sinusitis, you should be taking daily allergy pills like allegra 180mg and also nasocort and rhinocort steroid nasal sprays

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? bad anxiety symptoms can cause throat pressure and throat tightness symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I've been on anxiety medication for a while now but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with my throat. My wife says she notices the left side of my jaw seems to be a little swollen where the neck and jaw meet

grinding your teeth, clenching your jaw can cause inflammation of the TMJ joint which can cause inflammation there and a bit of swelling

these symptoms would not make me worried about cancer for you

your ENT doctor can look down into your nasopharynx and throat with a thin scope and see any early signs of cancer there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I went to the ENT last month and he did scope my nose through my nasal pharynx and saw a small infection in the nasopharynx which I took medication for but he did not go any further than that part of the throat. So when I go Tuesday is there a another procedure they will do to go deeper in my throat or are they still going to go through my nose?

there is no deeper

the direct nasolaryngoscopy procedure is what is needed to see everything in your nose and nasopharynx and posterior oropharynx.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How so? When the lump is felt in the Adam's apple?

you need sedation in the for them to scope down your adams apple and below into your esophagus

to get past your airway in the voice box, they have to give you sedation and protect your airway during the procedure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so what is the reason for the random burning sensation in neck and head? And today during lunch I had food stuck in my throat by adams right side above adams apple no pain in the throat during that

it could be due to bad anxiety symptoms.

just being on anxiety medications doesn't mean you don't have symptoms from anxiety

you feeling part of your throat over time, you could be causing the irritation with your finger. you should stop doing this.

post nasal drip from runny nose can do this.

acid reflux from stomach acid coming up from the stomach can do it as well.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician