Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have Acid reflux disease. I had an Endoscopy done on

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have Acid reflux disease. I had an Endoscopy done on December 6, 2017 and everything went ok. But about 2 weeks later I started developing symtoms of my GERD. Symtoms uch as Losing Unexpained Weight, felling weak and fatige, and having Difficulty Swallowing, and filling like I have a soar troat, and filling like my troat is narrowing. I see my Doctor in 5 days. So what Do i do now, and do I need an Upper Endoscopy?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No Doctor yet, But I am taking Dexilant 60 mg 1 time a day or sometimes 2 times a day. And Surcrafate 4 times a day

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I have NOALLEGIES to medications that im no of

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NO. Just a long history of GERD

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
1/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Jaon,

Was colonoscopy done on December 6?

What is your age?

Do you have anxiety?

No Colonoscopy done. Just an Endoscopy. But I did get a Colonoscopy done in year 2014. And Due to have another one in 2019 five years from 2014

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Jason,

You need following investigations for your symptoms of (losing unexplained weight, feeling week, difficulty swallowing, soar throat, narrowing of throat), apart from upper GI endoscopy:

1) Videofluoroscopic swallowing study (VFSS); it uses the different consistency of the barium and allowing for evaluation of swallowing.
2) Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES).
3) Ultrasonography is used to evaluate soft-tissue dynamics.
4) Scintigraphic examination.

5) 24 hours esophageal pH estimation

6) Esophageal manometry.

Following treatment may help you, meanwhile;

a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.
b) Relaxation techniques.
c) Esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.
d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important.

Anti reflux therapy is;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) sips of liquids intermittently

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;
Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor