Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have small intestines bacterial overgrowth. And my only…

Customer Question
I have small intestines...

I have small intestines bacterial overgrowth. And my only symptom is nausea 365 days a year. Is there anything that can help

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I have gone to four different gastroenterologist including the head of gastroenterology at Jefferson. They tried xifaxan twice and not didn't work and now I'm not on any medication at all.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

In addition to that problem I also have atrial fibrillation. So the only medicines that I take used to be metoprolol and a baby aspirin and it was just switch to sotalol and Pradaxa. The medications that I am allergic to or morphine amiodarone Vancomycin and Gentamicin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The only other thing that I take is an Ativan for nausea and sometimes Zofran for nausea

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Treatment is by rifaximin which eradicates bowel overgrowth syndrome.

Probiotics too may help resolving nausea.

Your nausea may be contributed by atrial fibrillation medicines too.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Good doctor that I was using did not use rifaximin but instead use xifaxan because he thought that was a better choice I also take probiotics every single day

Following are the main causes of nausea;

A. Central nervous system

1) Migraine

2) Space occupying lesion in brain (Mass lesion)

3) Labyrinthitis

4) Ménière's disease

5) Pseudotumor cerebri

B. Gastrointestinal symptoms;

1) Gastroparesis

2) Irritable bowel syndrome

3) Non ulcer dyspepsia

4) Peptic ulcer disease

5) Cholecystitis/cholangitis (gall bladder problems)

6) Hepatitis (liver inflammation)

C. Hormonal

1) Thyroid disorders

2) Diabetes

3) Adrenal disorders

D. Psychiatry disorders

1) Anxiety

2) Depression

3) Conversion disorders

E. Infections.

You may consider concomitant causes for your nausea.

Medications are one of the most common causes which can contribute with bacterial overgrowth.

It is privilege assisting you.