Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I got my tongue pierced on Monday. It’s now Thursday and my…

Customer Question
I got my tongue pierced...
I got my tongue pierced on Monday. It’s now Thursday and my tongue has randomly bled every day since except for the moment I got the piercing. I wake up with blood clots surrounding my piercing, I won’t be eating or talking and it will begin to bleed. Not an insane amount of blood but enough to taste it. The piercer said bleeding wasn’t common and I have also had it pierced before and it didn’t bleed. I’m worried about an infection.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/4/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your bleeding

best thing to prevent infection is to rinse your mouth with salt water

most likely the bleeding will eventually stop on its own

the piercing must have been close to a small blood vessel.

a tiny amount of blood can be tasted in the mouth

signs of infection would be fever, redness, swelling, pain, pus

it doesn't sound like you have these symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. The blood is not only tasted but I see it spread across my tongue, so it’s just a scary sight.I also have somewhat of “growth” around my piercing area. It’s painless and skin colored. I’m attaching photos and I was hoping you could help assume what it is. Does that look abnormal to you?

that is just a bit of scar tissue or tongue tissue from the piercing

yes, the area looks normal

it doesn't look infected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, perhaps I’m just very paranoid.I appreciate your help. Thank you.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician