Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have been taking Victoza for Type 2 diabetes for a few years…

Customer Question
Have been taking Victoza...

Have been taking Victoza for Type 2 diabetes for a few years now and it lowers my blood sugar effectively, however, just started experiencing acne in my groin area and feel it is somehow related to the medication.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Zoloft, Finesteride, Niacin and Victoza daily.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/4/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

thanks

I have been prescribing victoza for over 2 years to many patients, and I am also following a large number of patients who are taking victoza. This is UNLIKELY to be related to victoza.

Though any kind of side effects can happen due to a drug (even if not mentioned in the medical literature), but the possibility of victoza giving acne like lesions is extremely unlikely.

thanks ever so much and have a great day!

Also it is not mentioned as a popular or frequent side effect of victoza.

I will suggest a dermatologist review and clinical exam for treatment. And will not suggest you to stop taking victoza given the beneficial effects associated with this drug.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Thanks for visiting JA!