Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is "Saint Vitis Dance" and what causes it? No, just…

Customer Question
What is "Saint Vitis...

What is "Saint Vitis Dance" and what causes it?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, just learned about it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is aware of everything that I know.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

St Vitus dance is also called as Sydenham's chorea. The disorder is neuropsychiatric disorder caused by a poststreptococcal, autoimmune condition. It affects control of;

1) movement,

2) mood,

3) behaviour and

4) potentially the heart.

The cause is suppose to be antibodies against the streptococcal infection.

These dance movements are involuntary, irregular, purposeless, non-rhythmic, abrupt, rapid and unsustained. Movements disappear with sleep and rest.

Following is the treatment;

a) Rest

b) Penicillin 500 mg twice daily for 10 days.

c) Haloperidol, pimozide and risperidone.

d) Psychiatric support.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Happy new year 2018.