Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My grandfather my moms sister and her son all died from

Customer Question
My grandfather my moms...

My grandfather my moms sister and her son all died from hunts chorea. Im

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Im concerned i have it toi.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had mri for headaches didnt show anything. I do habe alot of twitching all over my body. Have hard time focusing latly .

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea headaches daily

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/4/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned whether you are developing HD (Huntington’s Disease, also called as Huntington’s Chorea). As a Neurologist I diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I am very familiar with HD, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see at the outset I want to inform you & also reassure you there is no possibility of you are developing HD

HD is an AD (Autosomal dominant) type of inherited disease which means parents may not pass this disease to all of their children

And each child has only 50% chance of developing this disease – if one of the parents has this disease

So this means, even if your maternal grandfather had HD but it is not necessary he passed this disease to each of his children

While your mom’s sister received the HD gene from her father (your grandfather) but your mom did not receive this gene from him

This is because if she had received this gene from her father then by this time she would have manifested with HD already

I see your aunt’s (mom’s sister) son too has developed, means the disease has already started manifesting in the next generation of your mom & her siblings – so if your mom had received HD gene then by this time she would have manifested with this disease

So since your mom has not inherited this gene from her father so there is no possibility for you to inherit this gene from your mom

Just for discussion sake, even if your mom has received HD gene from her father - you can still escape because each child has only 50% chance which means there is a 50% chance of escaping from receiving the disease related gene in AD (Autosomal dominant) diseases such as HD, so you can still escape

But it does not even appear your mom is having this gene - so there is absolutely no chance of you having HD gene, so there is no possibility of you developing HD

And the types of symptoms you have been having can easily be explained by conditions such as anxiety, stress etc, but HD is certainly unlikely in your case, but these symptoms or any other types of symptoms need not raise doubts in your mind because you are definitely not having HD gene.

If you are developing HD your brain mri scan would have showed atrophy of a region of the brain called as Caudate nucleus (part of Basal Ganglia), but your mri did not show anything. But again this is not applicable or relevant in you since you are not even having HD gene so there is certainly no need to suspect HD in you.

Once again I can categorically reassure you, there is no possibility of you developing HD since your mom has not inherited HD gene from her father, so there is no way she can transfer this gene to you, accordingly you are definitely not going to develop HD, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, once again, HD (Huntington disease) is certainly unlikely in you, and there is not even one iota of doubt in this regard, so please not to be scared.

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have mentioned above, or any other health related concerns?

Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

My jaws hurt. I have a hard time concentrating and finding words. I have twitches all over my body.
Im concerned. I have a family with 4 kids

Please see these are not at all symptoms of HD, and also for the reasons mentioned earlier you are never going to develop HD for sure.