Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am due for a colonoscopy, but can't seem to bring myself…

Customer Question
I am due for a...
I am due for a colonoscopy, but can't seem to bring myself to have one for various reasons. I have several questions that will hopefully address my concerns. I have had a history of chronic ebv and fibromyalgia which brings with it a host of all types of goofy symptoms that drs don't understand. I am over sensitive to medications as well as live with chronic unexplained dizziness and motion sensitivity. I have never done Versed but am concerned about possible dizziness and who knows what else. Is it possible to do a colonoscopy without sedation? I hear in Europe they don't even use sedation for this procedure. I am also concerned about fasting. I can't go longer than 4 hours without eating, as I get nausea and faint feeling, so I can't imagine fasting for this long. I also have a vasovagal response to intestinal cramping so that is another concern. I had cramps the other day and felt like I was going to pass out. In addition I have a adrergneic response and my heart rate elevates with physical adversity. I take Calcium Channel blocker for sinus tachycardia and high bp. My medication is time released so my concern is that I will lose some of the drug as I am going through the cleanse. My bp tends to spike quickly. Can this occur? Also they say I can take medication morning of procedure but can only take a few sips of water. I have difficulty swallowing pills and normally need a full 16 ounce glass of water. So not sure about this. Anytime I have any sort of procedure that is simple for most people, I end up with achy flu like symptoms for a few days after. So you can see my dilemma. I know it is important test.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 day by:
1/5/2018
Doctor: drn.iqtidar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
drn.iqtidar
drn.iqtidar, Doctor

Hi I am Dr. Iqtidar and will try my best to answer your question. I can see you are anxious about the procedure. Colonoscopy is usually done while conscious and you do not require anaesthesia if its flexible scope. Sedation should ideally be given particularly in your case so I think you should raise your concerns prior to the procedure. A simple sedative like midazolam can be given. same goes for sickness and other symptoms you are expecting.

Regarding blood pressure I don't think a few days of bowel pre-op will make a difference. Prior to colonoscopy and during your procedure vitals such as BP pulse can be monitored. Hope this helps. If you are happy with my answer please leave me with a positive response.

Regards,

Dr.N.Iqtidar

don't they also use fentanyl with the versed?
Can I do procedure without anything?

Hi, yes Fentanyl is used for pain control and also to counteract sympathetic response . Colonoscopies usually involve midazolam and fentanyl. For deeper sedation where colonoscopy may last longer or is for therapeutic rather than only diagnostic purposes such as polyp removal for instance propafol may be used but in that case then airway has to be protected and anaesthetist controls your breathing until you recover. Sometimes this is converted into spontaneous breathing depending on how your respiratory system behaves during your sleep. Various other drugs are also used and tailored to each patient.

You can make it clear to them that you want midaxolam and fentanyl or other pain relief during the procedure as that’s what is standard practice.

Regards, ***** *****

How come they just can't use a pain killer. Why is versed needed? I was reading where versed just gives the patient amnesia so they don't remember anything.