Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm not sure if I should ask a Dr. or a Lawyer regarding…

Customer Question
I'm not sure if I...
I'm not sure if I should ask a Dr. or a Lawyer regarding this topic. My parents are 86 and 85. My mother is in poor health and goes from her bed to her chair. My father is very frail, and has taken on all the household duties that my mother used to do.
Only, there is no cleaning going on and minimal laundry. There are ants in the food that my father puts in the freezer to kill them and then eats the food. They allow me to clean and cook when I'm there, (I live in Delaware, they live in Miami). They refuse any outside help, including money that my uncle sent to them to help out after hurricane Irma damaged their property. They are both fairly sharp, but extremely stubborn and don't like to spend any money. They won't throw anything away and my father goes through the recycle bin after I leave. Don't like any changes whatsoever, and the thought of going into any kind of facility is not even allowed to be discussed. I'm at my wits ends with them. Is there any thing I can do? It pains me to see them living like this, but they don't see any problem with it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. If you feel your parents health is at risk, you have the option of asking for a guardian to be appointed. I think you need some legal advice
ok, thank you.
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Sure