Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I lost a piece of my big toe nail-about an eighth of an inch…

Customer Question
I lost a piece...

I lost a piece of my big toe nail-about an eighth of an inch on the side. The exposed area where the nail was is very sore, and may be infected. Where do I go, or who do I see for help?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Pain started last night, after about a week since large piece was cut off, and smaller piece that was left came out. Hurts to touch, otherwise no pain.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

cannot do!
no!

The phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

Any redness or draining?

alittle.

OK

You can see your primary care physician for this--you don't really need a specialist

It sounds as though you'll need some oral antibiotics and maybe some trimming of the toenail but it should be ease to clear up

Please let me know if you need any more information