Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Nutritionist; goat kefir; When an elderly eats goat kefir,

Customer Question
but their nutritionist says to...
nutritionist; goat kefir; When an elderly eats goat kefir, but their nutritionist says to consume only if they can handle dairy, what would we be looking for to know if the elder person can or cannot handle dairy? what happens when this dairy travels from mouth to stomach, small intestines, colon, rectum, anus etc, if they have a good digestion and elimination system or whether they have irregular system .....
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

The only problem may be loose stool if you have a Lactose intolerance. Goat Kefir contains high levels of vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2, biotin, folate, enzymes and probiotics. It is similar to a liquid yogurt. If you do have a problem with dairy products causing gas and loose stool, then taking an over the counter product called Lactaid (Liquid form better than tablets) will help prevent any lactose problems.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you. Happy New Year.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

can a person just get gas as a result of a difficulty digesting diary but not get loose stools? Would there only be gas and loose stools, or would there be something like a complete slowing down of digestion or the proteins clumping up from not digesting in the stomach? I imagine the proteins not being digested and remaining hard by the time they get down in to the lower colon or rectum. Is that a correct explanation?

Yes, one can get just gas with Lactose intolerance. Usually if one has lactose intolerance, stool transit time is increased, not slowed. This is why people with LI get loose stools or diarrhea.

Are you having any problems with the Goat Kefir?