Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does advanced age lessen the effectiveness of botox

Customer Question
Does advanced age lessen...

Does advanced age lessen the effectiveness of botox treatment for spasmodic disphonia? I have been treated every four to six months since Nov. 2000. My last one Nov. 2017 had no effect on the hoarseness or breaking up of my words.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have called the Drs office in Billings, where I have been getting the shots, as yet they must be on vacation. Will call again today. Don't know if I should try again to get the shots or perhaps there may be too much scar tissue or just the age factor. I am 84.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

All of my history is known to the Dr. I am in pretty good health, taking pills for elevated blood pressure and I did get a pace maker about 2 years ago.. Feel good.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take i 40 mg tab a day of Lisinopril and 2 tab 50 mg a day of Metoprolol. Other over counter are Ocuvite, 1000 Vit. E, 1 600 +D calcium and 1 multi vitamin Centrum Silver. I am allergic to some antibiotics. It has been many years since I was given any and I broke out with swelling welts on my face. It was Amoxicillan. Sometimes, not often, I take tums or alkaseltzer antiacids.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it is not so much the advanced age

but repeated treatments with botox can lessen the effectiveness of botox injections for spasmodic disphonia.